PLAYING TO WIN HAS MOVED!

PLAYING TO WIN HAS MOVED!

Please update your bookmarks to http://hilaryleveyfriedman.com/category/blog/!

Friday, May 13, 2011

Too Much Botox, Too Much to be Believed: UPDATED

Poor Britney Campbell is back in the news. I wrote about Britney in March after her story appeared in The Sun, detailing her Botox injections and virgin waxes.  Yesterday morning Britney and her mom, Kerry, appeared on Good Morning America to “defend” themselves and talk about wrinkles and waxings.

The somewhat-horrifying interview/video speaks for itself. Click below to watch it.



I have a variety of questions about this story, which part of me still wants to believe isn’t true.
  •        The Sun reported Britney’s mother, Kerry is from Birmingham (UK). Why no accent in the television interview?
  •        Did Kerry Campbell know that by appearing on GMA she went on a parenting kamikaze mission—opening herself up to investigation by child welfare agencies (she must have known something untoward could happen, given the fact she wouldn’t name her Botox source)? Why do this? [Note: it's being reported that a formal investigation has been opened by the state.]
  •         The Sun story focuses much more on pop superstardom and less on child beauty pageants. Why the shift?
  •         GMA shows a clip of Britney in a “pageant dress,” but it doesn’t look at all like a high glitz pageant dress. Does anyone in the California pageant scene actually know this family? I stand by my earlier comments that I know some pageant moms wax their daughters (OUCH!), but Botox is a bit hard to believe in girls this young.
  •        This observation is going to sound horrible, but if this mom is so concerned about Britney’s appearance, why not invest in orthodontia instead of Botox? I know many eight-year-old girls with braces (sad, but true, and I think it must be a bit young—though definitely not my area of expertise!). Seems like a better, and more permanent, “beauty fix.”
  •        Finally, are dimples no longer desirable? It seems like the “wrinkles” they don’t like are Britney’s adorable dimples. My mother tells a wonderful story about taping frozen peas into her cheeks each night before bed as a child because she wanted dimples so badly. I’d still love to have dimples! Is this déclassé now?
Of course, there are many other unanswered questions, but I’ll stop there. Personally, I’d rather have Amy Chua and intense music lessons than Kerry Campbell and Botox injections.  What do you think?

UPDATE I: There already seems to be a "copycat" mom, covered by The Sun. This mother, Sharon Evans (also apparently British), tattooed her daughter, Bree, giving her permanent eyebrows. She also did fillers in her lips (in addition to Botox). Be horrified some more.

UPDATE II/I: Apparently this is not too much to be believed it is real. Poor Britney was taken from her mother and apparently is under custody of CPS. This article on the latest developments reveals another head-scratching fact: Britney's father died four years ago at the age of 83. So her mom was 30, with a four-year-old daughter, when her 83-year-old husband died... I wonder what kind of "research scientist" the father was? And whether or not *he* used Botox?

I have continuously said there is something seriously off with this story. Proof the Botox mom is not who she says she is. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/matierandross/detail?entry_id=89053 

7 comments:

  1. Maybe she's from Birmingham, AL? Or Birmingham, NJ? Or she lives on Birmingham Street? Definitely not British.

    Her dress looks like something a kid would wear to a Mexican wedding. Not very pageanty.

    I still throw up in my mouth when I hear the phrase "virgin wax."

    Amy Chua and Kerry Campbell exist in separate universes, but it's interesting that they're both just doing what they think is best for their kid(s). Social reproduction at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is what I really believe re: social reproduction. The doing what's best may sometimes be misplaced, but it's done out of love, not neglect or hate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness they took her away from her mother--my first thought, was how is this woman not in jail for child abuse? It really is one of the more horrifying stories I've heard. Keep us updated Hil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this information also visit my site please Botox injection in Islamabad

    ReplyDelete
  6. very informative article you are providing us.kindly check my blog as well Botox Injection Price in Islamabad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this useful information please check my blog also Botox Injection 100 Units Price in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete