PLAYING TO WIN HAS MOVED!

PLAYING TO WIN HAS MOVED!

Please update your bookmarks to http://hilaryleveyfriedman.com/category/blog/!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Blog Follow-Ups: Botox Mom, Bernard Lagat's Son, and Miss America's Daughter

Many of my blog posts fall into one of the following categories: beauty pageants, child beauty pageants, and competitive children.  Today's post features updates on some of my most popular stories in each of these areas.

1) Botox Mom (aka Kerry Campbell/Sheena Upton)- It's been reported that Botox Mom (who never actually used Botox it turns out) is working with the Department of Children and Family Services in California to keep custody of her two daughters.  Upton is taking parenting classes, undergoing mental health counseling, and living with a family member to help her girls recover from the events of this past spring. I don't think we'll be seeing the Uptons on this season of Toddlers & Tiaras, do you?

2) Miika Lagat was back in the news this weekend as his dad ran in the US Track and Field Championships.  In an interview Lagat reported: "Lagat, who's son Miika is his #1 fan and was cheering for him every lap of the 5,000m on Friday night, said it was OK with Miika that his dad did not win. Bernard said Miika told him BEFORE the race, 'You know what daddy, you've run a lot (this week). If you lose, it's part of running.'" Let's not forget that Miika is five-and-a-half. He's pretty wise for someone so young, but having grown up around racing I guess he's earned his wisdom. I wonder if he will be racing soon?

3) Speaking of children of celebrities, Diana Dreman was just crowned Miss Colorado 2011. What's special about that? Well, her mother is Rebecca King, Miss America 1974. I am 99% sure that this is the first daughter of a Miss America to compete on the Miss America Pageant's stage. As the daughter of Miss America 1970, I have a lot of respect for Diana for putting herself out there-- but I also worry for her. I never did pageants, though there was a moment when I was a kid when I thought, "Hey, I could do that." My mother, wisely, didn't let me participate saying, "If you win, people could say it is because of me. If you lose, it could be because of me. You need to do your own thing." Not surprisingly, my own thing did not involve walking on-stage in a bathing suit (because, really, I think for most people, that is the stuff of nightmares).
In any event, I do think that Diana has the "Miss America look." I read on the pageant message boards that her talent routine is weak (dance), but I would expect her to go pretty far in Vegas come January. First of all, it's a great story for the Pageant. I will definitely be interested to see what a) the mainstream media makes of this story, and b) what pageant insiders make of it. And, of course, I'll share my thoughts!

Two other quick things to note: Rebecca King, Diana's mother (who was also Miss Colorado-- the last to win Miss America!), signaled a new stage in Miss America's development, back in the early 1970s. King was basically the first to use her scholarship money for professional graduate school. She became a lawyer and has had a successful law practice. She has also stayed involved with the Pageant, serving on its Board-- so it will be especially interesting to see how this plays out, since Diana has presumably met much of the Miss A leadership over the years... Second, I can't resist noting that this is not the most (in)famous pageant mother-daughter duo to come out of Colorado. That, of course, would be JonBenet and her mother, Patsy...

7 comments:

  1. These cases are the prove that botox can be both good and bad, sometimes for the same person.
    It's bad because that mother tried to make some quick money by using her daughter....and that's definitely bad and also dangerous.
    For Miss America botox did a good job, by making her look perfect, even if this might be considered cheating...
    When I decided to use botox, I did it because I had a problem with the excessive sweating and I heard that this is the best method to get rid of my problem. I won't regret that I decided to do that botox toronto treatment a few months ago, because my problem is gone, at least for the moment. but doing it to hide my real age won't be a choice for me, becuase I'm not a cheater, and I don't want to change this fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with the third one. Obviously, when you follow your mother's career, comparisons will happen. You got to make your own steps. A mother should be like that. Teaching her daughter to follow her daughter's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Really I am surprised about this post.Thank You very much.sarasota plastic surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing this information. its a nice post and keep it always.....

    wrinkles treatment

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this information is a very beautiful and its a nice post.
    wrinkles treatment

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi
    you have given a great information. Anti ageing treatments are available at hyderabad
    https://www.vernonskinclinic.com/ageing-skin.html

    ReplyDelete